Insolvency and company law are the staple of Joel’s first-six commercial training. Under Amit Gupta’s supervision, Joel assisted in personal bankruptcy matters, winding-up petitions, debt claims and directors’ disqualifications. Joel is also involved in the broad range of work undertaken by St Philips’ commercial group (St Philips Business and Property), from restraint of trade to derivative action.
Joel’s first-hand advocacy experience is varied. Between bar school and pupillage, Joel worked for the FA Regulatory Advocates’ Department and represented the FA in discrimination, player misconduct and player registration matters. Joel has acted for litigants in the County Court and the Employment Tribunal. Joel was also a keen moot competitor at university and had considerable success: he placed second in City Law School’s BPTC moot despite being a GDL student, and competed in the Telders Public International Law Moot as a member of the UCL team.
Joel’s personal interests are similarly diverse. Joel cooks Peruvian, speaks Norwegian and is a closet scotophile. He plays football regularly and enjoys watching all sports.
Joel frequently attends employment tribunals and civil courts to act for a range of litigants, including white-collar corporations, retail chains, franchises, social clubs, and charities. Joel is also instructed by claimant employees and workers.
He has appeared in multi-day trials involving a number of issues, from race, religion and disability discrimination to bonus pay claims . Joel is also equipped to advise and act in employment and commercial matters that arise from breach of contract, restrictive covenants, employer insolvency, service-provision changes, and business M&As.
Recent cases include;
- Successfully appealing a tribunal decision to disallow amendments to the ET1.
- Acting for successful parties in multi-day breach of contract and bonus pay claims.
- Successfully defending against whistleblowing detriment complaints against a social care and housing provider.
- Successfully defending a franchisee against discrimination and unfair dismissal claims.
- Acting for and advising a local authority on a series of TUPE-based claims.
- Advising an administrator on litigation strategy and the effect of RPO claims.
- Successfully obtaining deposit orders on a series of claims for a national grocery firm.
- Advising company directors on the enforceability of restrictive covenants.
- Defending a financial consultancy against a commercial claim for non-payment of a consultant’s fees.
Business and Property
- Bankruptcy petitions.
- Winding up petitions.
- Section 112 references.
- Possession hearings.
- Restoration and annulment applications.
- Derivative action.
- Duomatic resolutions and related actions.
- Breach of director’s duties.
- Director’s disqualifications.
- Restraint of trade and restrictive covenants in sale agreements and employment contracts.
- Contractual disputes (consumer and commercial).
- Romalpa related claims.
- Strike out and summary judgment.
- Relief from sanction.
- Application to set aside default judgment.
- Application for additional parties.
- Application to amend statement of case.
- Letters before action.