Mark Grant has a decade of experience advising on and acting in a wide range of commercial disputes. As well as litigating in the courts (including various divisions of the High Court and the Court of Appeal) he also has extensive experience of arbitration and mediation.
Much of his work has involved claims in contract and the torts – often complex cases with a high value and/or an international element. He has wide experience of interim applications including freezing and other injunctions. He has also dealt regularly with more specialist areas such as arbitration, fraud, professional negligence, warranty claims, restraint of trade, shareholder disputes and agency claims (including under the Commercial Agents Regulations).
Before being called to the Bar, he spent almost ten years as a solicitor at a leading national law firm, including spending some time on secondment to the in-house legal team of a plc. This gave him an invaluable understanding of how to provide the best service both to solicitors and lay clients, and an appreciation of the importance of commercial and strategic considerations in litigation.
Mark has been described by the Group Head of Legal for a major UK Plc as “’best in class’ in his area… His ability to quickly review and digest a large amount of data, distil it to the key issues and construe a winning legal argument is priceless and second to none.” The General Counsel of a major UK FMCG company said that Mark “excels” at giving “pragmatic, commercial litigation advice…a valued and trusted member of my inner ‘external lawyer’ circle”.
Company and Partnership
- Acting for the petitioner in an ongoing unfair prejudice action over a care home business.
- Advising a minority shareholder in a dispute involving derivative claims, unfair prejudice and breaches of directors’ duties.
- Acting for a shareholders in claims for the enforcement of rights contained in Articles of Association.
- Acting for a well-known electronics retailer in ongoing High Court proceedings arising out of the supply of logistical and transport services, where total sums in dispute exceed £1.5 million.
- Advising a group of UK shareholders on $6.5 million proceedings in the United States which involved substantial breach of warranty claims arising out of them in England.
- Advising a leading food manufacturer in a breach of warranty claim worth £3.5 million, including representing the client at mediation.
- Acted as sole advocate in a three-day trial in an ICC international arbitration worth £2 million: an agency dispute with a world-leader engineering company relating to the supply of industrial products into China. The case also included claims in the economic torts.
- Advising on claims against prominent professional advisers for allegedly negligent tax advice.
- Advising a national housebuilder, following misappropriations from company accounts, in respect of a forensic investigation, claims against the individual responsible and on negligence claims against the company’s auditors and accountants.
Restraints of Trade & Confidentiality
- Obtaining an injunction in the Chancery Division, on behalf of a national chain of public houses, to restrain a breach of restrictive covenant by a former landlord.
- Advising a leading food manufacturer on defending claims of restraint of trade in the context of a key commercial contract.
MA (Oxon), PPE, First Class – Somerville College, University of Oxford. Also awarded scholarship (Clothworkers)
PgDL – College of Law, Birmingham (Commendation)
LPC – College of Law, Birmingham (Commendation)
“Mark is technically a very good lawyer. His approach is always clear, concise and on point, whether that is in relation to written advice, skeleton arguments, or oral submissions in court. He is good with clients.” Legal 500 2023
“Mark is incredibly bright.” Chambers & Partners 2023
“He is outstanding – technically great and thorough.” Chambers & Partners 2023
“A superb advocate, and his preparation is meticulous. He has an inclination to be succinct. He is so calm and methodical in the way he argues a case that judges really respond to him.” Chambers UK 2022
“Mark has a razor-sharp mind, is a very clear thinker, provides excellent analysis, and is able to construct the best possible argument for the client.” Legal 500 2022
“Mark isn’t frightened to roll up his sleeves and get to work on something that doesn’t look particularly glamorous – he just gets on with it.” Chambers UK
“Very tactical and equally very sensible.” Chambers UK
“A safe pair of hands who understands the pressures solicitors face and takes on work beyond his year of call.” Legal 500 2021
“Quick to understand the issues at the crux of a case and offer sensible and considered advice.” Legal 500 2021
“A safe pair of hands who instils absolute confidence in his clients.” Legal 500 2021
“A team player who delivers advice in an approachable and commercial manner.” Legal 500 2020
“Thanks to his past experience as a solicitor, he acutely understands the pressures we face behind the scenes. He’s clear in the provision of his advice and thrives when dealing with complicated and detailed matters.” Chambers UK