“His technical mind allows him to assimilate complex information quickly.” – Legal 500 2019
Jonathan is a criminal law specialist and an accomplished trial advocate. His practice covers all areas of criminal law, including regulatory crime. He is ranked by the latest edition of the Legal 500 as one of the Midlands’ leading barristers specialising in criminal law. Jonathan is a grade 4 prosecutor and has been appointed to the CPS Serious Crime Group panel at level 4, the highest level. He is also on the ‘Rape and Child Sexual Abuse List’ meaning that he can be instructed in cases involving sexual offences. While he accepts legal aid instructions, he has a flourishing private practice. He is direct access qualified.
Jonathan has been appointed to the ‘B’ list of Specialist Regulatory Advocates.
Jonathan is committed to defending those accused of criminal wrongdoing, whether it be an individual or corporate entity. Instructing solicitors often praise Jonathan’s commitment to his cases and his unwavering determination to secure the best possible result.
Jonathan prides himself in providing first-class trial advocacy. He is experienced in cross-examining experts and has provided training to witnesses who give expert evidence in criminal proceedings. He is also trained and experienced in cross-examining young and vulnerable witnesses. In a recent case, involving an allegation of rape, the trial judge described Jonathan’s cross-examination of a young complainant as a “model example”. Jonathan’s client was ultimately acquitted of rape and associated offences.
Jonathan’s cases are often paper heavy and usually the result of significant police operations. He is adept at coming to terms with such cases. He is said to have a ‘technical mind’ which ‘allows him to assimilate complex information quickly’.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of specific areas of practice:
- Fraud and Money Laundering;
- Misconduct in a public office;
- Proceeds of Crime;
- Regulatory Offences (including Health and Safety offences);
- Road traffic Offences (including where death has resulted);
- Serious Organised Crime (e.g. drug conspiracies, firearms etc);
- Serious Violence (e.g. arson, robbery, s18, attempted murder);
- Sexual offences (including rape and offences against children and the vulnerable);
- Trading standards.
Examples of Jonathan’s work and experience is available below and upon request from his clerks.
Jonathan read law at University College London. He is a Queen Mother Scholar of the Middle Temple. He is a member of the Criminal Bar Association.
- Criminal Bar Association
- Midland Circuit
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
Homicide (Murder and Manslaughter)
Jonathan is instructed in cases involving allegations of Homicide. Recent experience in this area includes:
- R v Corry - the murder of a Jaguar Land Rover employee in Birmingham;
- Operation Castwell - 7 defendants accused of conspiring to torture and murder a vulnerable person;
- R v Birch - successful defence of young man accused of attempted murder;
- R v H others - contract killing of a Staffordshire man;
- R v Mohammed Arshad - murder of a taxi driver in Kings Norton.