William undertook pupillage in chambers in 2016/17, and joined chambers on completion of pupillage in 2017. He appears regularly in the Family Court before all levels of judiciary, from Lay Justices to High Court Judges, in the Midlands and across the country. He also frequentlly contributes to training events and seminars, both in chambers and at solicitors’ offices.
In his spare time, William is a confirmed “cricket tragic” and cinephile. He recently combined these two interests as one of the executive producers of 501 Not Out, a documentary about the cricketer Brian Lara.
William has developed a substantial practice across the spectrum of family law.
William regularly appears on behalf of Local Authorities, parents, children and intervenors in the Family Court and the High Court. He is developing a significant practice in cases involving placement of children outside of England and Wales, and has recently been instructed in two such cases where the court has received expert evidence on the law of the country where placement is proposed. He is regularly instructed in cases of the most serious nature, including cases involving child deaths and serious physical or sexual abuse.
William regularly appears on behalf of parents and children in private law disputes. He has significant experience of “high conflict” cases involving allegations of physical abuse, sexual abuse, and parental alienation.
Ancillary Relief and Trusts of Land
William regularly advises clients on matters concerning ancillary relief and trusts of land, and has appeared in both the Family Court and the County Court in such cases. In common with his child law practice, William has acted in cases with an international element and involving issues of jurisdiction and recognition of orders made in England and Wales in foreign courts.
- Currently instructed by a Local Authority in a case involving multiple child deaths.
- Currently instructed by a Children’s Guardian in a case involving a historical child death.
- Currently instructed by a Local Authority in a case involving allegations of a conspiracy to remove children subject to interim care orders from the jurisdiction.
- Currently instructed by a parent in a case involving allegations of serious physical and emotional abuse and a complex sibling group.
Recently instructed by a Children’s Guardian on an emergency application to the High Court in relation to the refusal of medical treatment.
- Recently instructed in two cases involving placement of children outside of England and Wales.
- Currently instructed by a Children’s Guardian in a case in which significant findings of fact have been made against both parents.
- Currently instructed by a Children’s Guardian in a case of alleged parental alienation where the Local Authority is involved with the child.
- Recently instructed by a Children’s Guardian in a case in which the children had made serious allegations of sexual abuse against one of the parents.
- Recently acted for a parent and successfully secured a condition attached to the final order that the other parent should not, without consent or the court’s permission, take any steps to relocate, either within or without the jurisdiction.
Ancillary Relief and Trusts of Land
- Currently instructed in an ancillary relief case involving a substantial buy-to-let property portfolio, and where one party’s conduct is in issue.
- Recently instructed on a final hearing in an ancillary relief case which raised questions as to matrimonial and non-matrimonial property and “mingling” of assets.
- Recently instructed to advise in an ancillary relief case where the parties had divorced several years ago but had never received the Decree, raising questions of delay and how the assets acquired subsequent to the Decree should be treated.
Abuse and neglect
- Recently secured summary judgment on behalf of a Local Authority on claims brought in the High Court and arising out of care proceedings for misfeasance in public office, negligence and breaches of the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Currently instructed on behalf of a care leaver in a claim against a Local Authority relating to their time in the care of that Local Authority.
- Recently instructed to advise a child in Local Authority care in relation to a claim against that Local Authority for negligence and breaches of the European Convention on Human Rights.
Court of Appeal – AV (A Child) (Expert Report)  EWCA Civ 346,  2 FLR 203
RE M (Children: Applications by Email)  EWCA Civ 806
Appointments and Memberships
Lord Justice Holker Scholar 2014 – Gray’s Inn
CPE Scholar 2012 – Gray’s Inn
The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
West Midlands Family Law Bar Association
Employment Lawyers’ Association
Human Rights Lawyers’ Association
Administrative Law Bar Association