Zaheer has a strong and established criminal and regulatory practice. He operates predominately on the Midlands circuit but is also regularly instructed on cases in London and on the Northern circuit.
Zaheer has extensive trial advocacy experience. He is regularly instructed in serious and complex cases. He has had numerous successes in cases including offences of:
- Historic Sexual Offences
- Fraud & POCA
- Regulatory Offences
- Serious Organised Crime
Zaheer is a patient and compassionate Barrister with a reputation for strong advocacy fighting fearlessly on behalf of his clients.
Zaheer provides a highly professional and seamless service for his clients.
Zaheer is committed to creating a strong working relationship with clients seeking to obtain the best outcome for their case.Some of the cases that he has been asked to assist with include:
- R v M – Zaheer was instructed to defend a lead defendant in Operation Smarten a money laundering matter worth in excess of £140 million. He successfully argued to diminish the significance and seriousness of his client’s role. As a result the prosecution conceded that POCA did not apply. The trial lasted 55 days.
- R v F – Zaheer was instructed to defend one of four defendants said to have created a company designed solely to launder money from a large scale County Council price-fixing fraud. Zaheer’s advocacy was instrumental in changing the court’s perception of his client’s role resulting in an extremely favourable POCA judgement much to the advantage of his client. The trial lasted 3 weeks.
- R v C – Zaheer was instructed as part of a defence team with the highly regarded Queen’s Counsel Mr. Kevin Hegarty QC to assist a deeply troubled client accused of murdering both of his parents. Through patient and diligent preparation of the defence case the prosecution agreed to drop the murder charges. The court was invited to deal with the case by way of lesser charges of manslaughter through diminished responsibility. Following extensive legal argument about the issue of drug induced psychosis a hospital disposal was secured in the client’s behalf.
- R v Z – Zaheer was instructed as part of a defence team with one of Her Majesty’s most popular Queen’s Counsel Mr. Richard Benson QC to defend a man accused of murder by decapitating his father. The considerable efforts of the defence team helped to change the prosecution’s psychiatrist views. As a result the prosecution lost the ensuing trial resulting in the client being found not guilty of murder.
- R v S – Zaheer was instructed to defend a client with severe learning difficulties charged with numerous historical sexual offences. This was an extremely difficult & challenging week long trial requiring patience, compassion & diligence. As a result of focussed and expert questioning of the complainant the jury were persuaded to return a verdict of not guilty on all charges.
- R v A – Zaheer was instructed to represent one of four defendants alleged to have been involved in a large scale inter-familial sexual offending. It was widely acknowledged by all of the defendants that Zaheer’s razor sharp cross examination of the third complainant was the turning point in the trial resulting in not guilty verdicts across the board. The trial lasted 3 weeks.
- R v C – Zaheer successfully defended C in a multi-handed grooming case. His client was facing serious sexual offence charges which would have resulted in lengthy sentences in excess of 10 years. As a result of Zaheer’s extensive preparation with the client & the deployment of targeted and expert advocacy skills he secured an acquittal on charges of rape and sexual assault on behalf of his client. The trial lasted 8 weeks.
- R v R – Zaheer was instructed to defend this client with the highly esteemed Rachel Brand QC in a multi-handed murder with a number of issues including joint enterprise. The trial was lengthy and complex involving close and careful analysis of CCTV footage from a number of different angles, complex cell site telephone evidence.
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
Zaheer is registered to undertake direct access work on behalf of clients.+ Add to Brochure