Simon is a highly experienced and accomplished advocate with over twenty years’ court room experience. Having earlier in his career advised on a broad range of contentious matters, Simon has, in later years, focused on high value work, particularly that with a Fraud or Commercial Crime element to it. As such, he has developed expertise in matters relating to the Proceeds of Crime Act, money laundering and bribery legislation, from both a prosecution and defence standpoint
In person, as one would expect, Simon is highly professional and comes across as someone who is very good at what he does. He combines this with a friendly, down to earth and relaxed manner which doubtless endears him to clients and colleagues alike.
Simon specialises in prosecuting and defending complex and serious cases. He has been instructed in complex fraud, money laundering, company director disqualification and insolvency cases.
He is on the approved list of Counsel at the International Criminal Court (the ‘ICC’), the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (the ‘ICTY’) and the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (the ‘STL’). Since May 2009, he has been actively involved in the defence and appeal of Vinko Pandurevic (co-counsel) on charges of, inter alia, Genocide and Conspiracy to Commit Genocide before the ICTY.
In addition, he has prosecuted on behalf of the SFO, BIS, HMRC, CPS (Grade 4 Prosecutor) and CPS CCU.
In serious crime, he has significant experience defending and prosecuting murder, manslaughter, violence, drug importation and serious sexual offences.
In Regulatory work, he has conducted many Trademark and Copyright cases and has represented the author of Northern Soul Top 500 (Kevin Roberts) in respect of alleged counterfeit black vinyl.
His recent cases involve a travel agent for alleged breaches of ATOL and IATA regulations; a Defendant charged with conspiracy to cheat in respect of a CIS fraud; a Defendant charged with people trafficking.
Simon has considerable experience of appearing before various types of tribunal. He presents seminars and teaches advocacy on a regular basis. In addition, he is computer literate with experience of Live note, Ringtail and Ecourt systems.
- R v Jobson and Naylor – Prosecution of Fraudulent Trading case involving 25+ complainants (featured on Cowboy Builders)
- Op Tarlac – representing Defendant in multi handed, multi £m, money laundering case – also involved in PoCA proceedings
- Op Ibis – representing Defendant in case brought by HMRC. Contested PoCA proceedings, achieving successful result for client by reducing £800k benefit figure to £4500
- Op Severn – Prosecution of multi handed case arising out of the mutiny at Birmingham Prison
- Op Insulate – representing Defendant in multi handed conspiracy to supply drugs
- Op Dynamo – prosecuting 24 Defendants involved in wholesale supply of cocaine
What the Directories Say:
- “He has experience in high-value fraud cases.” – Legal 500 2019
- “He has great intellectual acumen.” – Legal 500
Qualifications and Appointments:
- MA (Cantab)
Articles and Publications:
- Piercing the Corporate Veil – a Brief Insight
- Neuberg Lives On
- Human Trafficking
Simon is also a regular contributor to seminars in and outside the UK. In recent times he has presented seminars and/or written pamphlets on matters including:
- Bribery Act 2010
- Liability of Company Directors
- Piercing the Corporate Veil and Proceeds of Crime
- Dawn Raids
- Gross Turnover Benefit and Proceeds of Crime
- The Use of Intermediaries in Criminal Proceedings
- “Trials in Absentia” : a defence perspective on the implications of Article 22 of the Statute for the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (L’Ecole Nationale de la Magistrature, Paris)
- Drug Supply – cross border issues (L’Ecole Nationale de la Magistrature, Paris)
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
In 2009, Simon became co-Counsel for Vinko Pandurevic who appeared on a seven handed indictment before the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia. Pandurevic was charged with, inter alia, Genocide, Extermination, Murder and Deportation arising out of events around Srebrenica in July 1995.
Simon resided in The Hague for five months while assisting in the drafting of Pandurevic’s final brief, preparation of closing arguments and more recently involved with research for his appeal brief. There was a vast amount of information to absorb (upwards of 1m pages of evidence and at least 40,000 pages of trial transcript when he was instructed). During the course of his involvement, he gained invalubale experience of “Live note”, “Ringtail” and “Ecourt" software systems
List of Counsel before the International Criminal Court : the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) and the Special Tribunal for Lebanon
Member of the European Criminal Bar Association.
Member of the Association of Defence Counsel before the ICTY.
Popovic et al (IT-05-88) "Srebrenica"+ Add to Brochure