Kate has been practicing before international criminal tribunals since 2005, in cases involving genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity.
Kate is currently the co-counsel of Jean-Pierre Bemba, former Vice-President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, on trial at the International Criminal Court in The Hague, and the co-counsel of Radovan Karadžić, former President of the Republika Srpška, on trial at the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia
She has appeared as counsel for various accused before the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda in Tanzania, and the Special Court for Sierra Leone where she represented former Liberian President Charles Taylor.
She represented victims in the first case before the Extraordinary Chambers in Cambodia, and has also clerked for a Judge of the Appeals Chamber of the United Nations Tribunals for Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia.
She also holds an appointment as a Senior Consultant (Africa) with the International Development Law Organisation, and is training the lawyers of the Rwandan Bar Association in defending genocide cases before the Rwandan domestic courts.
Kate holds an LL.M (First) in International Law from Cambridge University. She has published and teaches in international criminal law and transitional justice, and lives in Geneva, Switzerland.
Qualifications and Appointments:
- Co-Chair of the Training Committee of the International Criminal Court Bar Association
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland (2001).
- Solicitor of the High Court of Australia (2001).
- LL.M (First) (Cantab), Cambridge
- British Chevening (Australia) Scholarship, Cambridge University (2003-2004), awarded for ‘outstanding academic achievement’.
- Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship, Bond University (1997-2000), awarded for ‘academic excellence and demonstrated leadership skills’
- The Prosecutor v. Bagosora et al., ICTR-98-41-T, International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, 18 December 2008.
- The Prosecutor v. Gatete, ICTR-2000-61-T, International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, 31 March 2011.
- Mugenzi et al. v The Prosecutor, ICTR- 99-50-A, International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, 4 February 2013.
- The Prosecutor v. Charles Ghankay Taylor, SCSL-03-01-A, Special Court for Sierra Leone, 26 September 2013.
- The Prosecutor v. Jean-Pierre Bemba, ICC-01/05-01/08, International Criminal Court, 21 March 2016.
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue