An Employment Law Barrister with over 20 years’ experience representing employees and employers in Employment Tribunals across the UK and in appeal cases in the EAT and above. Regularly recommended as a leading barrister in employment law in the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners Directories.
Some notable recent cases in the Employment Tribunals:
- M Ali v Capita Customer Management (2017) Leeds ET – direct sex discrimination/failure to pay male carer the same as a female on maternity leave.
- S Raj v Capita Business Services (2018) Leeds ET – sexual harassment – conduct not related to sex.
Notable Appeal Cases
- Jet2.com v Mr J Denby  IRLR 417 (EAT) – Section 137 TULR(C)A 1992 – scope of provision making it unlawful to refuse employment on the grounds of previous trade union activities.
- Graham v Agilitas IT Solutions Ltd  UKEAT 0212_17_1210 Section 110A ERA 1996 – protected conversations, waiver of privilege.
- Outasight V.B. Ltd v Brown  ICR D11 (EAT) – Reconsideration of ET decision under rule 70 of ET rules. Effect of change of rules compared to previous rule 34(3).
- Palmer v Royal Bank of Scotland  ICR 188 (EAT) – Age discrimination: voluntary early retirement, effect of Equality Act (Age Exceptions for Pension Schemes) Order 2010.
- Keith Mason v Huddersfield Giants  EWHC 2869(QB) – Wrongful dismissal: misuse of social media and repudiatory breach of contract.
- Thomas Cook Airline Services Ltd v Wolstenholme (as personal representative of Wolstenholme) All ER (D) 35 (Mar), EAT Withdrawal of claim and dismissal of application for order for dismissal. Issue estoppel. Effect of dismissal of application on Respondent’sposition in new proceedings in High Court.
- Capita Hartshead v Byard  IRLR 814 (EAT) – guidelines on the choice of pool for redundancy.
- Barlow v Stone  IRLR 98, (EAT) – whether an employee can be liable in a stand-alone claim for victimisation.
- Kirklees Metropolitan Council v Radecki  IRLR 555, (Court of Appeal) – meaning of “effective date of termination” under Employment Rights Act 1996.
- Giannelli v Edmund Bell & Co Ltd  All ER (D) 29 (Sep), (EAT) whether a commercial agent can be a “worker”.
- Brand v Compro Computer Services Ltd  All ER (D) 185 (Sep), (EAT) – interpretation of contractual terms: lawfulness of provisions denying entitlement to earned commission post-termination.
- Conoco v Booth  All ER (D) 140 (Mar), (EAT) – DDA 1995 – reasonable adjustments – extent of duty to find an alternative role.
Advising and acting on behalf of individual Claimants and Respondents of all sizes, from small businesses to public authorities, NHS Health Trusts and major PLCs. Deals with the full range of Employment Law issues including Unfair Dismissal, Whistleblowing, TUPE and Collective Consultation and all strands of Unlawful Discrimination at Work.
Has acted on behalf of local authorities for over 10 years and has been regularly instructed to deal with complex discrimination claims in thisfield.
Work carried out:
Employment Tribunals & Employment Law Rights
- Advising employees and employers on employment law rights and workplace disputes
- Drafting and reviewing policies and procedures
- Advice and Representation in Employment Tribunal Litigation throughout England and Wales
- Advice and Representation on Employment Appeals to the Employment Appeal Tribunal and Court of Appeal
- Advise and Representation in Employment Tribunal Litigation in Scotland and Northern Ireland
- Employee/Executive Termination and Settlement Agreements
Employment Law Disputes in the Civil Courts:
Advice and representation in relation to Employment Law disputes in the Civil Courts including:
- Applications for injunctive relief to enforce post-termination restrictive covenants
- Wrongful dismissal claims
- Commercial Agents and the Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993 – including the quantification of compensation under the Regulations
Appointments and Memberships
Employment Law Bar Association
Employment Lawyers’ Association
Industrial Law Society