Russell was admitted as an advocate on 1st June 2012. Prior to that, he was in private practice as a solicitor for over 20 years. In the latter 10 years, he worked exclusively in the employment field as partner and head of the Scottish employment team with the global law firm DLA Piper. His work covered the whole gamut of employment issues. He was accredited as a specialist in employment law by the Law Society of Scotland and has retained that exclusive focus on employment work in his years since coming to the Scottish Bar.
He is ranked by both Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners for employment in Scotland.
Articles and Publications:
- Greens Employment Law Bulletin: Disability facts lead to appeal losses – August 2015
- Greens Employment Law BulletinIn the public interest: clarity or confusion? on the question of whistleblowing – August 2016
- Employment Expert Q&A Panel Author for LexisNexis, publishers of Harvey and IRLR
Qualifications and Appointments:
- MA; LL.B; Dip LP
- Employment Lawyers Association
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
His practice is primarily first instance in the employment tribunal where he is regularly and frequently instructed across the UK by many well-known brand names in the retail, finance, facilities and transport industries.
His covenant work involves advising both employers and employees on their enforceability and appearing when they are litigated, for interim and final remedies.
Recent Court advice includes successful action against a former employee for payment of substantial damages arising from breach of the implied term of honesty and good faith, and interim orders to prevent industrial action in a dispute on TULR(C)A 1992 section 229 (2D).
- Scottish Ambulance Service v John Laing  10 WLUK 503
- Swanston New Golf Club Ltd v Gallagher  12 WLUK 287
- Loy v Abbey National Financial & Investment Services plc 2006 SLT 761
- Dignity Funerals Ltd v Bruce 2005 1 S.C. 59
- Donlon v Colonial Mutual Group (UK Holdings) Ltd 1998 SC 244
- Interconnection Systems Limited v Holland 1994 SLT 777
- Aramark Plc v Sommerville 1995 S.L.T. 749