Ed is a specialist employment practitioner with substantial commercial litigation experience.
The legal press has described him as “among the top juniors in his field” for thorough preparation and outstanding court performances, Ed is a “highly approachable barrister whose academic talents are matched by his ability to manage and communicate effectively with clients”.
Ed deals with the range of employment disputes in tribunal, including high value and complex litigation. His High Court experience extends to claims for senior executives and involving directors’ duties. He frequently is engaged to advise and represent in injunctive relief in employment disputes.
A member of the Attorney General Panel of Counsel, Ed’s clients include numerous central government departments and external agencies. His private clients include national companies, plcs as well as numerous SMEs.
His employment experience includes:
- Junior Counsel in a complex breach of fiduciary claim in the insurance industry sector, including dishonest assistance, knowing receipt,
- Financial derivatives, in the context of directors’ negligence and constructive dismissal employment tribunal proceedings
- Appeals to the EAT: Discrimination (relevance of inadequate explanations), age discrimination (strike out/costs) , interim relief and complex whistleblowing allegations
- Freezing Injunctions and commercial pre-emptive remedies
- Substantial TUPE and insolvency issues
Ed gives seminars extensively with particular emphasis on commercial/employment issues, such as restraint of trade; TUPE and insolvency; fiduciary duties; performance management. He is an accredited advocacy trainer.
He has also been involved in restrictive covenant matters acting for respondents.
What the Directories Say
Ed is featured in the 2019 Chambers & Partners directory as a leading expert in commercial dispute resolution and employment law. He is also ranked in the Legal 500 2019 as a top-tier practitioner in employment law. Ed has been described in the directories as:
- “A fantastic barrister who is technically astute and commercially savvy in equal measure.”, “He handles the case in a really sensible and intelligent manner.” and”He gives clear, robust and commercial advice.” – Chambers UK 2019
- “Unflappable and hardworking.” – Legal 500 2019
- “He’s very responsive, sensible, pragmatic and always makes himself available.” “He’s very cool, calm and collected and very good with restraint of trade instructions.” Chambers & Partners (2018)
- “His advice was clear, concise and direct. I was particularly impressed by the commercial emphasis to his advice, balancing the risks with the overall commercial objectives to deliver pragmatic results.” “He’s efficient, helpful and always available. His strength is his ability to look at a situation from every angle – and also to talk to everyone on a good level.” Chambers & Partners (2018)
- “He has a fine analytical mind.” Legal 500 (2017)
- “He’s probably the go-to barrister for restraint of trade cases in the Midlands.” “He’s good in front of clients, always gets great results, is super-easy to deal with and he knows the law backwards.” Chambers & Partners (2017)
- “He is a very good advocate and a very effective cross-examiner; he is able to be forceful and also be in control without being aggressive. He is very composed.” “He is exceptional in tribunal; he will not get the judge’s back up and due to his presentation skills, he makes everybody listen.” Chambers & Partners (2017)
- “A specialist employment barrister handling discrimination and commercial employment matters.” Legal 500 (2016)
- “Every bit as good as the leading senior juniors in London.” Legal 500 (2015)
- “He has an ability to master complex briefs and is able to give a firm steer on a case.” “He’s extremely experienced, thorough, pragmatic and he’s very good with clients.” Chambers & Partners (2016)
- “He has extremely good advocacy skills and is also very good with the clients. He builds a rapport and is very approachable.” “He is good at communicating advice to clients in a way that makes the legal issues clear, and he sees the strengths and weaknesses of a case.” Chambers & Partners (2015)
- “He is charming with sensitive clients. He’s a confident and excellent advocate.” Chambers & Partners (2014)
- “He has superb attention to detail.” Chambers & Partners (2014)
- “Seen as a “go-to-guy” by numerous solicitors working in commercial litigation. He is recognised widely as a highly approachable barrister whose academic talents are matched by his ability to manage and communicate effectively with clients.” Chambers & Partners (2013)
- “The “utterly charming” Edmund Beever is a highly respected figure at the Employment Bar. One particularly impressed source was keen to highlight his ability as a cross-examiner, saying, “you would be hard pressed to find anyone who is as skilled” in this regard. Chambers & Partners (2013)
- “… brings an “analytical mind and a great work ethic” to his cases. He has impressed numerous people in the region, not least because he is considered to be “a really good guy to work with.” Interviewees praise his work on contractual and employment claims.” Chambers & Partners (2012)
His “thorough preparation and outstanding court performances” place him among the top juniors in the field. Chambers & Partners (2012)
- “…valued for giving “unambiguous, realistic advice” and “doing it with good humour.” His commercial and employment expertise has come to the fore in recent cases where he has been involved in some high-value directors’ breach of duty and information claims.” Chambers & Partners (2011)
- “Clients say that he has a good rapport, communicates clearly and is an effective cross-examiner.” Chambers & Partners (2011)
Qualifications and Appointments:
- Merton College, Oxford, BA (Hons), Jurisprudence
- Member of Attorney General Panel of Counsel (re-appted 2007; 2012)
- Fee Paid Employment Judge, 2013
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Midlands Commercial and Chancery Bar Association
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
Edmund Beever is a member of the following specialist practice groups where detailed CV’s can be viewed by clicking on the links below:+ Add to Brochure