On 28 March 2023, LM140121 Ltd (formerly known as Le Maitre Ltd) was found guilty after a trial of breaching health and safety regulations in relation to operations at their factory at Fourth Drove, Peterborough in the run up to an explosion on 2 October 2018.
Brendan Ledgister who was just 24 years old – and the father of an 8 month old daughter – tragically died as a result of injuries he sustained in the explosion at the company premises.
The HSE had visited the factory in 2016 and given improvement notices to the company asking them to make changes. However, there were still issues two years later at the time of the explosion.
The company designs and produces pyrotechnic products for use in TV, film, concerts, tours, festivals as well as sporting and corporate events.
The court heard that while the firm went into liquidation in 2021, another fireworks company is still being operated by the same people at the same premises.
District Judge Sheraton praised the work of the HSE team on the case.
The company was fined £500,000 and ordered to pay £20,788.65 prosecution costs and a £170 victim surcharge.
Please contact us if you would wish to instruct Charles or any members of the St Philips Regulatory Team.
Written by James Withers