Guy has been a practising Barrister for 37 years, with a very wide and diverse practice. However, for the last 10 years he has concentrated exclusively on family law.
Guy frequently appears in both complex and highly sensitive cases involving children in both the Private and Public law arenas at High Court and County Court levels. He represents parents, children and Local Authorities.
In addition to children’s work, Guy is a specialist in Ancillary Relief and all related areas, including financial provision for the family upon death, financial provision for children and financial disputes between cohabiters. His cases routinely involve substantial assets, corporate assets and complex assets relating to land and foreign property.
Family Finance Team
Guy regularly represents both husbands and wives together with Interveners within complex cases and throughout his career has been instructed in cases which have involved the following:
- Family trusts
- Trusts of land
- Foreign property
- Applications for injunctions and to set aside dispositions under s.37 MCA 1973
Public Law Care and Adoption
Guy represents parents, alleged perpetrators of injuries, children instructing their own solicitor and guardians, as well as Local Authorities. The areas of work covered include all aspects of physical, emotional and sexual abuse (including those which are the subject of medical dispute/controversy such as brain injury, sudden deaths in infancy and in-depth cross examination of expert witnesses).
- Bishop & Bishop (2004) EWCA Civ 738
- SCC v B (2000) Fam 76; 2000 3 WLR 53
- Re S (A child) (2010) All ER (D) 88
Private Law Children and Domestic Abuse
Guy covers all aspects of Residence/Contact applications including:
- Applications by same sex parents
- Applications involving children of mixed race parents
- Cases involving a foreign element
- Applications to remove children from the jurisdiction of England and Wales
- Re K (A minor) v Surinder Jit – Court of Appeal – 24/3/1993
- Re S (A child)  EWCA Civ 219
- In the Matter of S (A child)  EWCA Civ 325
- Re S (A child)  Lexis Citation 43
Appointments and Memberships
Permanent Chairman to the MSC National Court (Governing Motor Sport Within The UK)