Joel maintains a busy practice that centres on his three legal interests: employment law, commercial/insolvency law, and law in sports.
Since joining St Philips in 2017, post-pupillage, Joel has undertaken work in a number of forums, including the High Court (in both its appellate and first-instance jurisdictions), the Employment Appeal Tribunal, and before sports arbitral panels/commissions. Joel also sits on the FA’s Anti-Discrimination Chairman’s Panel.
Advocacy and trial strategy formed the keystone of Joel’s training. Under the tutelage of David Maxwell and Amit Gupta. Joel observed and assisted in a range of disputes, including restraint of trade, derivative actions, Human Rights Act civil claims, discrimination claims, bankruptcy petitions, and directors’ disqualifications.
At university, Joel was a keen moot competitor and had considerable success: he placed second in City Law School’s BPTC moot despite being a GDL student, and competed in the Telders Public International Law Moot as a member of the UCL team.
Joel’s personal interests are diverse. Joel cooks Peruvian, speaks Norwegian and frequents Scotland. He undertakes volunteer work and, when time allows, enjoys playing five-a-side football.
Qualifications and Appointments
- The FA’s National Anti-Discrimination Chairman Panel
- Member of Middle Temple
- BPTC (BPP) – Very Competent
- LLM (UCL) – Merit
- GDL (City) – Commendation
- BA Theology (Nott) – First-Class Hons
Scholarships and Awards
- Middle Temple – Queen Mother Scholarship (Middle Temple’s most prestigious scholarship)
- Middle Temple – Blackstone Exhibition
- BPP – BPTC Excellence Award
- BPP – Advocacy Scholarship
- Norwegian (fluent)
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
Joel frequently attends employment tribunals and civil courts to act for a range of litigants, including white-collar corporations, retail chains, franchises, social clubs, and charities. Joel is also instructed by claimant employees and workers.
He has appeared in multi-day trials involving a number of issues, from race, religion and disability discrimination to bonus pay claims . Joel is also equipped to advise and act in employment and commercial matters that arise from breach of contract, restrictive covenants, employer insolvency, service-provision changes, and business M&As.
Recent cases include;
- Successfully appealing a tribunal decision to disallow amendments to the ET1.
- Acting for successful parties in multi-day breach of contract and bonus pay claims.
- Successfully defending against whistleblowing detriment complaints against a social care and housing provider.
- Successfully defending a franchisee against discrimination and unfair dismissal claims.
- Acting for and advising a local authority on a series of TUPE-based claims.
- Advising an administrator on litigation strategy and the effect of RPO claims.
- Successfully obtaining deposit orders on a series of claims for a national grocery firm.
- Advising company directors on the enforceability of restrictive covenants.
- Defending a financial consultancy against a commercial claim for non-payment of a consultant’s fees.