Joel’s legal interests are three-fold: employment law, commercial law and law in sports.
During his first six months of pupillage, Joel specialised in employment and commercial law under the supervision of David Maxwell and Amit Gupta. Joel observed and assisted in a range of employment and commercial disputes, including discrimination claims, civil claims brought under the Human Rights Act and Equality Act, bankruptcy petitions, directors’ disqualifications, restraint of trade, and derivative actions.
Uniquely, Joel has experience in sports-related litigation and regulation. As a member of the FA’s National Anti-Discrimination Chairman Panel, Joel sits as part-time judge in football disciplinary cases. Between bar school and pupillage Joel worked for the FA Regulatory Advocates’ Department and represented the FA in discrimination, player misconduct and club/player registration matters.
At university, Joel was a keen moot competitor and had considerable success: he placed second in City Law School’s BPTC moot despite being a GDL student, and competed in the Telders Public International Law Moot as a member of the UCL team.
Joel’s personal interests are diverse. Joel cooks Peruvian, speaks Norwegian and is a closet scotophile. He plays football regularly and enjoys watching all sports.
Qualifications and Appointments
- The FA’s National Anti-Discrimination Chairman Panel
- Member of Middle Temple
- BPTC (BPP) – Very Competent
- LLM (UCL) – Merit
- GDL (City) – Commendation
- BA Theology (Nott) – First-Class Hons
Scholarships and Awards
- Middle Temple – Queen Mother Scholarship (Middle Temple’s most prestigious scholarship)
- Middle Temple – Blackstone Exhibition
- BPP – BPTC Excellence Award
- BPP – Advocacy Scholarship
- Norwegian (fluent)
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
Joel is developing a practice in all areas of employment litigation. He has appeared before the employment tribunal, provided advice or drafted case documents in cases which involve,
- Direct and indirect discrimination.
- Discrimination arising from disability and failure to make reasonable adjustments.
- Harassment and victimisation.
- Unfair dismissal.
- Public interest disclosures (whistle-blowing).
In a civil context, Joel has assisted with restrictive covenants and restraint of trade actions. Joel is keen to develop his practice in this area.+ Add to Brochure