Sarah came to the Bar after a successful first career in the public sector, culminating in Assistant Director posts in three London boroughs. She has also managed procurement for a multi-academy trust and worked for HM Treasury. Informed by her first career, Sarah has a wealth of practical knowledge and a pragmatic approach to litigation.
Sarah accepts instructions across the full range of employment law, including High Court business protection work. She also has an interest in Sports Law.
· Drafting opinions and advices. Examples include opinions on whether foreign-based employees of an international organisation could claim employment rights in the UK and on holiday pay.
· Drafting pleadings. Examples include a strike out application in a discrimination case and a defence in contract case.
· Preparing for hearings. Examples include preparing submissions for a CMC. I also undertook a pro bono case on unpaid wages in the absence of a contract of employment.
|· Drafting opinions and advices. Examples include an unfair dismissal claim, including whether and at what level the client should seek to settle and whether a claimant was disabled within the meaning of the Equality Act.
· Drafting pleadings. Examples include lists of issues and agendas, a strike out application in a harassment case and further and better particulars in a discrimination case.
· Preparing for hearings. Examples include drafting opening submissions for a strike out application or deposit order in a discrimination case.
High Court employment work
|· Drafting opinions and advices. Examples include the interpretation of the Grenada Employment and Labour Relations Acts and merits on a point of law (the Jhuti principle) for an EAT appeal.
· Drafting pleadings. Examples include a request for further information (team moves case), a pre-action letter (team moves case), opening submissions re an interim relief application and a defence (breach of restrictive covenant case).
· Preparing for hearings. Examples include an XX for a disability discrimination case.
Employment e.g. restrictive covenants, sports and commercial law
|· Drafting opinions and advices. Examples include the ET’s power to draw inferences in unfair dismissal/disability discrimination cases and a shareholder dispute re loss of directorship and shareholding, including potential remedies.
· Drafting pleadings. Examples include an amendment to a Particulars of Claim to include a new cause of action (conspiracy) and a notice of appeal (discrimination case re recruitment).
· Preparing for hearings. Examples include closing submissions for a sports arbitration case (breach of contract) and a chronology and cast list for a speedy trial (restrictive covenants case).
General employment work
· Drafting pleadings. Examples include a skeleton argument for a CMC, a Particulars of Claim for a restrictive covenant case and a case summary for a contract case re the non-payment of invoices.
· I also undertook my own cases, including a full two-day trial on redundancy unfair dismissal (I won the case in spite of multiple disclosure issues) and a trial in an unpaid bonus case.