Receiving praise for his “thoughtful, measured approach and impressive advocacy style” (Chambers UK 2018), Rob specialises in commercial litigation, particularly company, insolvency and High Court employment. He appears regularly in the High Court, often against significantly more senior opponents. He is an experienced trial advocate and cross-examiner.
Rob has a varied commercial and contract law practice. His recent cases include a £5m misfeasance claim, a £2m claim under a sale and purchase agreement, a £800k restrictive covenants claim and an anticipated 11-day trial about the ownership of a company.
Rob has particular expertise in company and boardroom disputes. Solicitors instruct him regularly in unfair prejudice petitions, and disputes about directors’ duties, restrictive covenants and confidential information.
Insolvency cases make up a substantial proportion of Rob’s work.
Qualifications and Appointments:
- MA (Cantab.), Law with European Legal Studies, Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge, First Class
- Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
- Midland Chancery and Commercial Bar Association (MCCBA)
- Employment Lawyers Association (ELA)
What the Directories say:
- “He is a very academically gifted company counsel, who is as at home as a sole advocate against more senior adversaries as he is as part of a team.” and”He is thoughtful and brilliant – a man to go to for advice on complex and technical legal disputes.” (Chambers UK 2019)
- “Incredibly hardworking and very grounded.” and“Ferociously intelligent; he punches above his weight.” (Legal 500 2019)
- “He has expertise in employment, company and insolvency matters and receives praise for his thoughtful, measured approach and impressive advocacy style” (Chambers UK 2018)
- “He is an outstanding draftsman and offers clear, robust and commercial advice.” (Chambers UK 2018)
- “He has a powerful intellect and his analysis is faultless.” (Chambers UK 2018)
- “He has great intellect and is good on his feet.” (Chambers UK 2017)
- “He is very clever, good with clients and highly approachable.” (Chambers UK 2017)
- “An excellent advocate, who provides clear and pragmatic advice in conference.” (Chambers UK 2016)
- “A man with a huge brain, but he’s not unapproachable or difficult to deal with.” (Chambers UK 2016)
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
Employment in the High Court
Rob is regularly instructed in claims to enforce restrictive covenants and protect confidential information. He is often instructed in the early stages when his clients need urgent advice or representation.
Recent cases include:
- Numerous applications for interim relief.
- A £800k cross-border restrictive covenants claim. (led by Ed Pepperall QC)
- A £300k restrictive covenants claim. (sole counsel)
- A claim for Wrotham Park damages for the misuse of confidential information. (sole counsel)
- Defending a restrictive-covenants claim brought against a solicitor by his former employer. (sole counsel)
- A High Court claim about who owned a company. Anticipated to last 11 days, the trial settled after Rob cross-examined the claimants’ witnesses over five days. (sole counsel)
- A £2m claim under a share sale and purchase agreement. (led by Ed Pepperall QC)
- An application to prevent majority shareholders amending a company’s articles to a departing executive’s detriment. (sole counsel)
- A substantial dispute between a departing LLP member and an accountancy firm. (sole counsel)
- A 12-day hearing in a whistleblowing case (sole counsel against QC)
Where there are overlapping High Court and employment tribunal proceedings, Rob is able to deal with both parts of the case.+ Add to Brochure