“His technical mind allows him to assimilate complex information quickly.” – Legal 500 2019
Jonathan is a criminal law specialist and an accomplished trial advocate. His practice covers all areas of criminal law, including regulatory crime. He is ranked by the latest edition of the Legal 500 as one of the Midlands’ leading barristers specialising in criminal law. Jonathan is a grade 4 prosecutor and has been appointed to the CPS Serious Crime Group panel at level 4, the highest level. He is also on the ‘Rape and Child Sexual Abuse List’ meaning that he can be instructed in cases involving sexual offences. While he accepts legal aid instructions, he has a flourishing private practice. He is direct access qualified.
Jonathan is committed to defending those accused of criminal wrongdoing, whether it be an individual or corporate entity. Instructing solicitors often praise Jonathan’s commitment to his cases and his unwavering determination to secure the best possible result.
Jonathan prides himself in providing first-class trial advocacy. He is experienced in cross-examining experts and has provided training to witnesses who give expert evidence in criminal proceedings. He is also trained and experienced in cross-examining young and vulnerable witnesses. In a recent case, involving an allegation of rape, the trial judge described Jonathan’s cross-examination of a young complainant as a “model example”. Jonathan’s client was ultimately acquitted of rape and associated offences.
Jonathan’s cases are often paper heavy and usually the result of significant police operations. He is adept at coming to terms with such cases. He is said to have a ‘technical mind’ which ‘allows him to assimilate complex information quickly’.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of specific areas of practice:
- Fraud and Money Laundering;
- Misconduct in a public office;
- Proceeds of Crime;
- Regulatory Offences (including Health and Safety offences);
- Road traffic Offences (including where death has resulted);
- Serious Organised Crime (e.g. drug conspiracies, firearms etc);
- Serious Violence (e.g. arson, robbery, s18, attempted murder);
- Sexual offences (including rape and offences against children and the vulnerable);
- Trading standards.
Examples of Jonathan’s work and experience is available below and upon request from his clerks.
Jonathan read law at University College London. He is a Queen Mother Scholar of the Middle Temple. He is a member of the Criminal Bar Association.
- Criminal Bar Association
- Midland Circuit
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
Fraud, Business and Financial Crime
Jonathan is instructed in the following type of cases:
- Banking fraud;
- Breach of trust fraud e.g. fraud committed by employees, fraud against the vulnerable;
- Illegal money lending;
- Immigration fraud;
- Insurance fraud e.g. ‘crash for cash’ fraud;
- Money laundering;
- Tax fraud e.g. Benefit fraud, VAT fraud;
- Trading standards offences.
Jonathan is experienced in cases which invoke principles regarding confiscation, forfeiture and restraint.+ Add to Brochure
Homicide (Murder and Manslaughter)
Jonathan is instructed in cases involving allegations of Homicide. Recent experience in this area includes:
- R v Corry - the murder of a Jaguar Land Rover employee in Birmingham;
- Operation Castwell - 7 defendants accused of conspiring to torture and murder a vulnerable person;
- R v Birch - successful defence of young man accused of attempted murder;
- R v H others - contract killing of a Staffordshire man;
- R v Mohammed Arshad - murder of a taxi driver in Kings Norton.
Misconduct in Public Office/Celebrities
Jonathan has amassed significant experience in representing individuals who are said to be placed in a position of trust or responsibility, such as prison officers, nurses, teachers, care workers, bus drivers etc. Jonathan’s past cases in this area are wide-ranging: from misconduct in a public office to conspiracies to pervert the course of justice to rape and theft. He has represented such individuals both in the Magistrates, Crown Court and before their regulatory tribunals, and also at inquests.+ Add to Brochure
Motoring and Road Traffic
Jonathan is available to receive instructions in road traffic cases in the Magistrates Court on a private basis, including instruction on a Direct Access basis. He has experience in representing individuals facing allegations of:
- Careless driving;
- Driving whilst under the influence of drugs;
- Driving with excess alcohol;
- Driving whilst using a mobile phone;
Jonathan also has experience in successfully arguing ‘Exceptional hardship’ and ‘Special reasons’.
In the Crown Court, Jonathan has experience in representing those accused of serious driving related offences, including of Death by careless/dangerous driving. He is prepared to take on such cases on both a legal aid and private basis.+ Add to Brochure
Organised Crime and Terrorism
Jonathan has considerable experience in cases involving serious organised crime. He is on the CPS panel at level 4, the highest level. Jonathan is instructed in the following type of cases involving allegations of organised crime:
- Prison escape
Restraint and Confiscation
Jonathan has been involved in many cases involving the application the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. He has particular experience in confiscation, asset restraint and cash forfeiture and has lectured on these subjects.
- Serious Organised Crime Agency v Lawrence. Basildon Crown Court. Led junior for the defence in 5 day contested confiscation of a trading standard prosecution where criminal benefit alleged as 36.7m and assets 1.2m.
Serious Sexual Offences
Jonathan is instructed in the following type of cases:
- Indecent images;
- Undercover ‘sting’ operations;
- Sexual Assault;
- Sexual Grooming.
He is also trained and experienced in cross-examining young and vulnerable witnesses. In a recent case, involving an allegation of rape, the trial judge described Jonathan’s cross-examination of a young complainant as a “model example”. Jonathan’s client was ultimately acquitted of rape and associated offences.
Jonathan has experience in the victim’s right to review scheme and was instructed to judicially review a CPS decision to prosecute an individual for rape.+ Add to Brochure