A popular choice with both the prosecution and the defence, Jennifer has developed a successful and strong criminal and regulatory practice since she started her career at St Philips in 2000.
Jennifer is instructed in criminal cases at all levels, in particular drug dealing conspiracies, serious and organised crime, fraud and sexual offences. She is an accredited rape prosecutor and is frequently instructed by the Complex Casework Unit (CCU), often in cases which are level 4, including prosecuting some of the largest drug dealing investigations that the West Midlands have had to deal with
She is often instructed on behalf of the Defence to represent clients who are especially vulnerable through age or mental illness, and valued for her calm and considerate approach, even in the most difficult of circumstances. She has a friendly and pragmatic attitude, winning the confidence of both lay and professional clients.
Jennifer has developed a good practice in regulatory work in the Magistrates and Crown Court, building on the strong civil practice she had prior to specialising in crime. She has particular experience of forfeiture and confiscation orders, Closure Orders, Environmental Prosecutions, Health and Safety prosecutions and other general regulatory breaches as well as inquests and disciplinary hearings.
Jennifer is qualified and available to accept direct access instructions.
Out of court Jennifer regular attends the College of Law and the local universities to train students. She sits on the Bar Council as the Midlands Circuit Representative and is an active member of the CBA.
What the Directories Say:
“She has the makings of a future silk.” – Legal 500
Criminal Bar Association
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
Fraud, Business and Financial Crime
Jennifer's level of commitment and attention to detail make her ideal counsel for this complex area of law. She has an ability to deal with clients from all walks of life; previous cases have involved representing company directors, sports managers, teachers, police officers and others.
For the prosecution she is also recommended for her careful preparation and ability to assimilate large amounts of complex information.
Whilst GCSE Maths may not have been her strong point (!), since the days of school she has now developed an impressive practive in this area, and clients can be assured of a careful and considered approach to their case+ Add to Brochure
Motoring and Road Traffic
Having started working as a barrister with a mixed practice of crime and civil (personal injury) Jennifer has, from the outset, dealt with motoring and road traffic cases to a high degree of success. She generally represents private clients in the Magistrates and Crown Court, as well as of course regular publicly funded work. She has particular experience in dealing with expert evidence in this area including accident reconstruction, respiratory issues for breathalyser cases and tachograph analysis.
Jennifer can be instructed on a direct access basis+ Add to Brochure
Organised Crime and Terrorism
Jennifer is a grade 4 prosecutor and regularly instructed by the CCU, as well as on behalf of Defendants, in complex and serious cases including multi-handed conspiracies, in particular drug dealing, riot and violence (see notable cases). She has prosecuted cases at grade 4 level, including a 36 handed drug dealing conspiracy.
Jennifer often defends clients who have faced very serious allegations including drug dealing and organised violence. Her experience as a prosecutor benefits her and her clients in knowing how best to fight such cases.
She is regularly requested by senior members of Chambers as their junior counsel of choice on these serious cases, due to her commitment, hard work, knowledge and personality.
- Operation Coughar 2013 (ongoing), selected by CPS and police to prosecute 50 Defendants accused of dealing drugs - largest operation of its kind.
- Operation Quilt 2013 - prosecuted 12 handed conspiracy, sentence awaited. Selected over many others with more experience and seniority.
- Operation 1047 - junior counsel in a trial involving the importation of multi-million pounds worth of cocaine.
- Operation Skyhawk 2012 Instructed by CCU to prosecute 35 men for drug dealing offences, involving deployment of undercover officer.
- R v Laing and others 2012 Junior counsel for the Prosecution in the shooting at the police in the Birmingham riots. Involved evidence of cell site, DNA, firearms and gang evidence.
- Operation Arnhem 2010-2012 Junior Counsel - successfully prosecuted a multi-million pound fraud involving the large scale theft of beer barrels from various brewers.
- R v Bouzemada and others 2011 successfully prosecuted 5 men who had conspired to defraud a bank and its customers of many thousands of pounds.
- R v Hussain and others Large scale drugs conspiracy and serious violence/torture. Instructed by Staffordshire CPS as junior Counsel.
- R v Williams and others - major drugs conspiracy in and around Burton-on-Trent. Instructed by Staffordshire CPS as junior Counsel.
- R v ODoherty and others - VAT fraud red diesel case (Junior counsel for the defendant)
Restraint and Confiscation
As part of her regular work in the organised crime arena of drug trafficking, Jennifer has developed an enhanced understanding of and experience with POCA applications. This is something that Defence teams find attractive, when looking for expert advice. She has dealt with cases at all levels, from prosecuting Million pound fully contested cases, involving hidden assets, through to representing individual clients who have little or no assets at all.
As this area of law continues to grow clients can be assured of a confident pair of hands in arguing and resolving these applications.+ Add to Brochure
Serious Sexual Offences
Jennifer regularly represents both prosecution and defence in this involved and challenging area of law. She has particular experience in representing young and vulnerable Defendants, often in inter-familial allegations.
She also has regularly appeared in cases involving the downloading of illicit material. She has a good understanding and knowledge of dealing with allegations of sexual offending over the internet , something that is very much on the increase these days.
- R v W - prosecuted 16 year old male for alleged rape on 12 year old sister.
- R v R - defended 15 year old for allegedly sexually abusing his 10 year old sister successfully acquitted.
- R v Campbell - prosecuted serial sex offender
- R v A - defended female on historic allegations against her siblings.
- R v Hicks - successfully had IPP quashed and very early example of Courts imposing a more restrictive SOPO (reported at  EWCA Crim 733)