James is a barrister specialising in commercial law, representing clients in commercial & commercial chancery litigation. He finds commercially sensible solutions, and solicitors and lay-clients alike appreciate his team-player attitude, meticulous preparation and convincing advocacy.
Over the course of 2017 and early 2018, he has been working on several international commercial matters, including claims valued at £30 million, £150 million and £350 million.
James appears regularly in both the High Court and County Court as sole counsel.
James graduated with a Double First in French and German from Brasenose College, Oxford in 2013. He was also a Brasenose Scholar (20010-13), winner of the Gibbs Prize (2010: Top Modern Languages result in Preliminary Examinations) and the Erasmus Prize (2010: Top Humanities result in Preliminary Examinations).
James won the Buchanan Prize (2015) and the Lord Mansfield (2014), Lord Haldane (2013) and Hardwicke (2013) scholarships awarded by Lincoln’s Inn. He was also awarded an Outstanding in his Bar exams (2015) and a Distinction in the GDL (2014) at City Law School.
He is fluent in French and German, and speaks basic Italian.
James’s latest experience includes:
- Acting on a long-running case, worth between £250-£350 million, in a claim for unlawful conspiracy, malicious prosecution, malicious procurement & misrepresentation, on behalf of an international forensic investigations firm
- Acting in a £30 million claim for breach of contract for an international subsea construction company
- Assisting in a £150million claim against a leading smart card chip manufacturer
- Appearing on behalf of a variety of blue-chip commercial entities including Barclays, HSBC, British Airways, AXA & Zurich
- Acting for a national commercial construction firm in a breach of contract dispute
- Advising on the use of a High Court judgment in subsequent litigation where the total claims exceed US$100 million, involving questions of issue estoppel
- Assisting on an application to appeal to the Supreme Court in The New Flamenco, concerning the measure of damages for breach of contract
- BPTC, City Law School: Outstanding (2015)
- GDL, City Law School: Distinction (2014)
- BA (Hons.) French and German, Brasenose College, Oxford: Double First (2013)
- Buchanan Prize, Lincoln’s Inn (2015)
- Lord Mansfield Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2014)
- Lord Haldane Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2013)
- Hardwicke Award, Lincoln’s Inn (2013)
- Gibbs Prize, University of Oxford (2010)
- Erasmus Prize, Brasenose College, Oxford (2010)
- Academic Scholarship, Brasenose College, Oxford (2009-2013)
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue