Ishfaq Ahmed has been practising at the Commercial and Admiralty Bar since October 2000 representing and advising in a wide range of commercial, shipping and employment litigation and arbitration.
Ishfaq is a Member of the Commercial Bar Association, the London Shipping Law Centre, the Employment Law Bar Association, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, the Employment Lawyers Association, the Industrial Law Society, the Institute of Employment Rights, YSIAC and of Lincoln’s Inn. He is fluent in Urdu, has a working knowledge of French and is able to read and understand some Arabic and Persian script.
Ishfaq is experienced in all aspects of employment law and related disputes, including contracts of employment (terms, restrictive covenants, interpretation and breach), dismissal (unfair and wrongful dismissal), discrimination, equal pay, redundancy, transfer of undertakings, health and safety (including stress related injury), collective labour law, family friendly rights and other statutory interventions into the employment field (including Working Time Regulations 1998, National Minimum Wage Act 1998 and the Data Protection Act 1998).
- Advising on fairness of dismissals.
- Advising on whether certain persons were “employees” or not for the purposes of employment legislation.
- Representing employer on a Disability Discrimination/unfair dismissal at the London Central Employment Tribunal.
- Advice on the proper construction and effect of a restrictive covenants in employment contracts.
- Advising on proper procedures to follow in redundancy matters.
- Grand China Logistics Holding (Group) v Spar Shipping AS  EWCA Civ 982 – Ishfaq Ahmed (October 2016)
- PLC Arbitration Blog: Bremaining optimistic: impact on London arbitration following Brexit, with Andrew Dinsmore (July 2016)
- The Meaning of “Trip”: The Wehr Trave (April 2016)
- Direct Actions Against Insurers by Third Parties: the contract takes priority – The Yusuf Cepnioglu  EWCA 386 (April 2016)
- PLC Dispute Resolution Blog: Arbitration, litigation and the growth of the common law (March 2016)
- Update: The Compensatory Principle – Glory Wealth Shipping PTE Ltd v Flame SA  EWHC 293 (Comm) (Feb 2016)
- Jurisdiction Agreements, Declarations, Damages and Compatibility with Regulation 44/2001 A critical discussion of the relationship between section 37 of the Senior Courts Act 1981 and section 44 of the Arbitration Act 1996.
- Repudiatory Breach, Damages and the Ability to Perform – The Glory Wealth.
- ‘Clarifying forum shopping in absence of express choice’ published in Lloyd’s List on 15 December 2010
- Employment law update on the cases of Nolan v United States (Court of Appeal, redundancy) and Gisda Cyf v Barrett (Supreme Court, unfair dismissal).
- ‘Ultimate Scope of Vice in Marine Casualties’, published in Lloyd’s List on 28 October 2010
- ‘Salvage Awards: the Ocean Crown’ published in International Trade and Transport Newsletter, Vol. 1, Issue 5
- 2014 Master of Laws in Commercial Law (Distinction)
- 2013 Postgraduate Advanced Award in International Commercial Litigation (Distinction)
- 2012 Postgraduate Advanced Award in International Commercial Arbitration
- 2007 Postgraduate Advanced Award in Individual Employment Rights (Distinction)
- 2006 Postgraduate Advanced Award in International Law (General Principles)
- 1998-99 Inns of Court School of Law: Bar Vocational Course
- 1995-98 The University of Bristol: First Class Honours in LLB Law Degree
Awards and Scholarships:
- July 1999 Lincoln’s Inn Megarry Scholarship (Pupillage Award)
- Feb 1999 Lincoln’s Inn Hardwicke Scholarship
- Oct 1997 University Scholarship for Result in First Part Final Examinations 1996-7
- Nov 1996 Herbert Smith Law Prize for Outstanding Ability Demonstrated in Faculty Qualifying Examinations 1995-96
Appointments and Memberships:
- 2013 External Examiner Bar Professional Training Course in respect of Advocacy, Conference and Resolution of Disputes Out of Court
- 2015 Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue