Anthony has practised in Birmingham throughout his professional life, starting at 1 Fountain Court before moving to St Philips following the merger of those two sets in 2002.
Whilst Anthony has practised in employment throughout his time at the Bar, he has increasingly focussed upon this area of his practice in recent years and now practices almost exclusively in the field of employment law.
Whilst a vastly experienced and fearless advocate, Anthony prides himself outside the courtroom as providing a user-friendly and approachable service to lay and professional clients alike at all stages of the litigation process.
Anthony is fluent in written and spoken Italian, having previously lived and worked in Italy.
He also has a good working knowledge of French and Spanish, having studied the former to A-Level.
Anthony’s recent work includes:
- Jose Gonsalves v The Rationalist Association2301850/2016 and 2302431/2016– successfully acting on behalf of the Respondent in resisting claims including whistleblowing, automatic unfair dismissal and wrongful dismissal.
- Andrew Higgins v Deafness Resource Centre Limited 2405115/2016 – successfully acting on behalf of the Respondent charity in resisting claims of discrimination arising from disability and a failure to make reasonable adjustments.
- Muhammad v St John Ambulance 2600030/2017 – successfully acting on behalf of the Respondent in resisting a claim of race discrimination.
- Lancaster v Catalyst Housing Association 2200832/2017 – successfully acting on behalf of the Respondent housing association in resisting a claim of unfair dismissal.
- Acting on behalf of a set of barristers’ chambers in an ongoing 15-day complex discrimination and whistleblowing claim.
What the directories say:
- “The ultimate professional and the ideal counsel for those complex matters that just need that something extra.” – The Legal 500 2010
- Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust v Westwood UKEAT/0032/09
- Campbell v OCS Group UK Limited UKEAT/0188/16/DA
Qualifications and Appointments:
- Bromsgrove School
- BA (Hons) Cantab (Magdalene College, Law)
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Employment Law Bar Association
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
Anthony is an experienced personal injury practitioner and regularly undertakes both advocacy and advisory work in all areas of personal injury litigation, including all forms of employers liability claims, road traffic accident claims, occupiers liability claims, Fatal Accidents Act claims and highway cases. He acts predominantly, although not exclusively for Claimants.
Anthony has a particular interest in the field of sports injury law and his experience in this area includes both appearing for and advising professional footballers in relation to injuries sustained on the field of play.
Anthony also has substantial experience in pursuing personal injury claims arising out of the alleged misuse of powers and/or negligence on the part of the police and prison authorities.
In addition to his mainstream personal injury practice, Anthony has extensively advised and represented Appellants in appeals against awards made by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.
Anthony is prepared to accept instructions on a CFA basis+ Add to Brochure
Anthony has considerable experience of acting for clients involved in serious accidents or subjected to serious assaults, including claims resulting in the loss of limbs, the loss of sight and permanent brain damage. He has substantial experience of advising upon cases involving large numbers of experts from different medical disciplines and in drafting the complex Schedules of Loss that are an inevitable feature of such cases.
Anthony's experience includes acting on behalf of a former prison inmate who suffered severe permanent brain damage as the result of an assault at the hands of a fellow inmate whom the authorities knew to be a danger, and a claim on behalf of a young female Claimant who suffered a traumatic amputation of her right dominant arm as a result of the same being dragged under the wheel of a coach.
Anthony also has parallel experience of conducting appeals/hearings in respect of CICA claims arising out of catastrophic injuries sustained as a result of violent crime, including cases involving permanent brain damage and the permanent loss of sight.+ Add to Brochure
Anthony has considerable experience of dealing with cases under the Fatal Accidents Act, including mesothelioma and COPD cases, and claims arising out of industrial accidents. He is experienced both in advising the families of the deceased in the difficult circumstances of such cases and in drafting complex schedules of dependency.
Anthony also has experience of dealing with cases arising out of deaths in police custody and/or as a result of the alleged excessive use of force in the exercise of police powers.+ Add to Brochure
Anthony has experience of dealing with cases involving a wide range of industrial diseases and/or work-related conditions, including work-related stress, mesothelioma, COPD, HAVS and WRULD.+ Add to Brochure