Anthony has practised in Birmingham throughout his professional life, starting at 1 Fountain Court before moving to St Philips following the merger of those two sets in 2002.
Whilst Anthony has practised in employment throughout his time at the Bar, he has increasingly focussed upon this area of his practice in recent years and now practices almost exclusively in the field of employment law.
Whilst a vastly experienced and fearless advocate, Anthony prides himself outside the courtroom as providing a user-friendly and approachable service to lay and professional clients alike at all stages of the litigation process.
Anthony is fluent in written and spoken Italian, having previously lived and worked in Italy.
He also has a good working knowledge of French and Spanish, having studied the former to A-Level.
Anthony’s recent work includes:
- Jose Gonsalves v The Rationalist Association2301850/2016 and 2302431/2016– successfully acting on behalf of the Respondent in resisting claims including whistleblowing, automatic unfair dismissal and wrongful dismissal.
- Andrew Higgins v Deafness Resource Centre Limited 2405115/2016 – successfully acting on behalf of the Respondent charity in resisting claims of discrimination arising from disability and a failure to make reasonable adjustments.
- Muhammad v St John Ambulance 2600030/2017 – successfully acting on behalf of the Respondent in resisting a claim of race discrimination.
- Lancaster v Catalyst Housing Association 2200832/2017 – successfully acting on behalf of the Respondent housing association in resisting a claim of unfair dismissal.
- Acting on behalf of a set of barristers’ chambers in an ongoing 15-day complex discrimination and whistleblowing claim.
What the directories say:
- “The ultimate professional and the ideal counsel for those complex matters that just need that something extra.” – The Legal 500 2010
- Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust v Westwood UKEAT/0032/09
- Campbell v OCS Group UK Limited UKEAT/0188/16/DA
Qualifications and Appointments:
- Bromsgrove School
- BA (Hons) Cantab (Magdalene College, Law)
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Employment Law Bar Association
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
Anthony is regularly instructed to appear on behalf of both Claimants and Respondents in multi-day cases before the Employment Tribunal, where he undertakes all aspects of employment work including claims involving unfair dismissal, all forms of discrimination, whistleblowing, redundancy, equal pay, the National Minimum Wage, the Working Time Regulations, breaches of contract and the application of TUPE. He also undertakes advisory and drafting work in these areas.
Anthony has experience of acting for Claimants at all levels, from the shop floor up to senior employees (including acting, both at first instance and before the Employment Appeal Tribunal, for the Managing Director of a Football League club in connection with a claim for unfair dismissal). Anthony also has considerable experience of conducting multi-Claimant cases, including in claims arising out of collective redundancies and alleged breaches of discrimination law.
Anthony’s Respondent work similarly ranges from acting for small-scale employers with a handful of employees to representing large and complex organisations, including NHS Trusts, local authorities, outsourcing companies and household name and/or FTSE 100 companies.
Anthony’s background as a criminal advocate means that he is particularly adept at dealing with cases which call for difficult and/or robust cross-examination.
Anthony is an experienced advocate in the Employment Appeal Tribunal.
Anthony also has experience of appearing at internal disciplinary hearings (including multi-day hearings) on behalf of both employees and management.+ Add to Brochure