Patrick is a member of the employment and personal injury groups, where he has a busy court practice and dispatches prompt written advice. He has particular experience in matters concerning the public sector.
As a former proof reader of law books for Oxford University Press, Patrick has a keen eye for detail, which he puts to excellent effect in cross-examination. Clients recommend him for being approachable, for understanding the issues quickly and for giving practical, down-to-earth advice.
Patrick’s first degree was in Psychology at Newcastle University. After working in management and editorial, he undertook his legal training at Nottingham Law School, where he was marked outstanding in advocacy. Before pupillage, he worked in busy solicitors’ offices in Birmingham, so he understands the value of client care, as well as the importance of maintaining strong client relationships.
Patrick regularly represents claimants and respondents in all areas of employment law, including unfair dismissal, redundancy and all types of discrimination. He is happy to provide written advice on quantum, merits and points of law.
Patrick was heavily involved in the ‘Single Status’ group litigation on behalf of Birmingham City Council, estimated to be worth £120m.
- Sham redundancy proceedings following a major departmental restructure in the NHS
- Breach of contract trial following a local authority’s withdrawal of voluntary redundancy terms
- Unfair dismissal proceedings following restructure of a housing authority
- Direct race discrimination, harassment, victimization and whistle-blowing for an NHS trust
- Religious discrimination trial for an international bank
- Direct and indirect disability discrimination an international bank
- Direct race and religion discrimination proceedings against an international manufacturer
- Discrimination arising from disability claim against a local authority, following withdrawal of a job offer upon the discovery of ill health related to the applicant’s disability
- Direct discrimination on the grounds of pregnancy or maternity for a claimant who was dismissed after informing her employers of her pregnancy
- Preliminary hearings on disability, time points, and adducing without prejudice communications
Patrick represents claimants and defendants in cases concerning road traffic accidents, employers and occupiers. He is instructed throughout the Court process, from interim applications to trial, and provides pragmatic advice at all times. He also has a busy paperwork practice, drafting pleadings and advising on liability and quantum, including fatal accidents.
Fraud and Allegations of Fraud
Patrick has developed a specialism in insurance fraud, particularly in relation to fabricated and exaggerated claims. He has extensive experience in motor fraud cases, including LVI, phantom passengers, overstated injuries, exaggerated hire claims and induced accidents.
Patrick has a keen eye for detail, which he puts to excellent effect in cross-examination. He is regularly asked to proof defendant witnesses before trial and advise on credibility, as well as advising on prospects and tactics from receipt of the claim through to the final hearing.